Installing Octave on Linux

From: Robinson, Melvin D
Subject: Installing Octave on Linux
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 23:07:41 +0000

Hello,

This is probably a very easy question, but I've read through the INSTALL, INSTALL.OCTAVE files, and searched Google and the mailing lists to try to make some progress and I am just STUCK!  I am trying to compile Octave 3.4.3 from sources.  The configure script tells me that Octave's functionality will be limited because of a number of missing libraries.  To try to resolve this problem I want to concentrate on Qhull.

I downloaded the Qhull source and did the 'make install' (as root).  The libraries seem to have been produced:

address@hidden libqhull]$ cd /usr/local/lib
address@hidden lib]$ ls libq*
libqhull6.so  libqhull6.so.6.2.0  libqhull.a  libqhullcpp.a  libqhullstatic_p.a
as well as the include files:

address@hidden libqhull]$ ls
geom.h  libqhull.h  merge.h  qhull_a.h  random.h  user.h
io.h    mem.h       poly.h   qset.h     stat.h
address@hidden libqhull]$ pwd
/usr/local/include/libqhull

To try to get this working, I renamed libqhullstatic.a to libqhull.a, but that still didn't work.  Can someone lend me a piece of advice on this library so that I can proceed to the other dependencies like HDF5 and qrupdate and a myriad of others?