Segmentation fault in setting signal handlers; version 3.4.2

From: Yury T.
Subject: Segmentation fault in setting signal handlers; version 3.4.2
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 02:18:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I'm getting a 'Segmentation fault' when trying to run the 3.4.2 version
compiled from sources.

The platform is "ancient" Fedora with gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat
4.1.2-33), powering the small AMD64-based cluster.

Trying to locate the offending operation, I've reached the procedure
octave_catch_interrupts in src/sighandlers.cc, in which this fails:

   retval.int_handler = octave_set_signal_handler (SIGINT, sigint_handler);

in which procedure, this fails:

  gnulib::sigemptyset (&act.sa_mask);

>From the archives, I understand this is something of a common thing
happening. However, I'm not capable of proceeding any further on my own.
Also, I didn't quite understand whether some definite solution was found for
this since the last time this was reported
(http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/octave-3-4-0-on-Scientific-Linux-5-td3324135.html#a3324618
and https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?30685).

Like the guy commenting on savannah, I tried removing (commenting out) those
three lines, and now octave works (?), but am I not getting myself an
installation unobviously crippled, this way?

Any advise, please? Changing the compiler/platform is rather out of question
at the moment.