Re: subplot titles and labels overlap

From: Philip Hahn
Subject: Re: subplot titles and labels overlap
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 19:44:09 -0500

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sep 21, 2011, at 8:33 PM, Philip Hahn wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Have you tried using 3.4.2 with the gnuplot backend?
>
> I tried; it gave me the same error message dealing with \tau.
>
> octave:1> graphics_toolkit gnuplot
> octave:2> close all
> octave:3> plot(1)
> octave:4> title("\tau");
> warning: ft_render: skipping missing glyph for character `    '
> warning: ft_render: skipping missing glyph for character `    '
> octave:5>
>
> unless I am invoking it incorrectly.
>
> thanks for your help,
>
> philip
>
> Ben

I'm not sure why you are getting the warning.  I don't see that.

However, the title command is being interpreted as "<tab>au"

To get \tau, you'll need to either ...

       title ('\tau')

       title ("\\tau")

OK, the error message only occurs for the title command above, so it must be an error relating to the <tab> interpretation.

title("\\Tau") returns \Tau
title('\tau') returns "t"
title('\gamma') returns "g"

Not greek symbols but the traditional letters. A font issue maybe?

philip

Ben