Problems using fltk?

From: Terry Duell
Subject: Problems using fltk?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:06:21 +1000

Hullo All,
I have been having problems plotting with mesh.
Using gnuplot was taking ages, and I eventually found how to initialise fltk. Using fltk is much faster, but I haven't yet been able to get it to do what I would like. I have two mesh plots that are generated, firstly as figures, but I would also like to save these as jpg images, so added print commands. If I include the print command, the figure is displayed with black background, no axes etc. and the process brings my systems to it's knees...everything becomes unresponsive, a condition that continues long after Octave has been killed. If I comment out the print, the display is OK, but I have only been able to get my first figure displayed.
The general form of my code is as follows;

fig1handle = fig+1;
figure (fig1handle);
mesh(x,y,Zabs);
xlabel('x axis');
ylabel('y axis');
print(fig1handle,'results/mesh', '-djpg');

I added the 'fig1handle' to the print command later. The help for 'figure' doesn't really talk about that function returning a handle, so I probably don't have this correct. Regardless, it was not working correctly prior to the the handle being added.
What is the recommended way to display and print a figure using fltk?

I may not be invoking fltk correctly. All I could find on this was some early notes that say one should use backend("fltk"), but Octave baulked at that, then later found some words Ben Abbot had writ advising to use "graphics_toolkit fltk" to initialise the fltk. I currently have this command early in my script.
What is the recommended way to set up Octave to use fltk?

Is there an up to date guide on using fltk that I could use to come up to speed?

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell