Re: Installing Octave

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Installing Octave
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 23:53:07 +0200

On Sonntag, 4. September 2011 23:19:37 Ana Mónica Lourenço wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am really new in octave. I am trying to install octave in this system:
> Linux version 2.6.27.45-0.1-default (address@hidden) (gcc version 4.3.2
> [gcc-4_3-branch revision 141291] (SUSE Linux) ).
> I try different things but it didn't work.
> How can I install octave in this system using the command line?
> Thanks for your time.
> Best Regards, Monica
Can you give some more information? This looks to me like a SUSE Linux
Enterprise version, to see exactly which one please type the command

cat /etc/SuSE-release

and post the output here.
For SUSE (Enterprise Server/Enterprise Desktop) 11 there is a rpm available
from the science repository
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/SLE_11
you can add it with the zypper command

zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science/SLE_11 science
zypper ref
zypper in octave octave-devel

but please don't do that before you are sure you have a SLE 11 version.
Also if you have SLE 11 with service pack 1 you will need a different
repository, so it is essential that you check with the first command what you
have.
If I misunderstood your question  and you don't want to install a prebuilt rpm
for octave but compile it from source report back.