Re: Compile issues: error: your Fortran compiler must have an option to

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Compile issues: error: your Fortran compiler must have an option to make integers the same size as octave_idx_type (int).
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:17:22 -0400

On Aug 30, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Stephen Wilson wrote:

On 30 August 2011 15:57, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
On Aug 30, 2011, at 9:15 AM, Stephen Wilson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install Octave 3.4.2 on a MacBook running 10.6.7. On my machine I have:
> - GNU Make
> - g++
> - gcc
> - g77
> - gfortran
>
> When I run the ./configure script I get this error:
>
> <code>error: your Fortran compiler must have an option to make integers the same size as octave_idx_type (int). </code>
>
> I see that other people have encountered this error. However, I am at a loss to fix it. What are the steps I need to carry out to get Octave to work?
>
> I can't use the Octave.app as I need to use s Matlab script that uses imread() and the application was compiled with this disabled.
>
> Similarly, trying to install octave-devel using macports doesn't work as it hangs when trying to build gcc (despite it already being installed)l.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks a million
>
> Stephen Wilson

If you are unable to build MacPort's gcc then it is possible you have a problem with your development tools.

Where did you obtain your g++, gcc, g77, & gfortran?

Ben

Hi Ben,

thanks for the email. When I try to install via MacPorts it hangs on building gcc for over 30 mins, so I cancel it, figuring it shouldn't take that long.

I have g++ and gcc via the Developer tools that came with the Mac, gfortran from a dmg I downloaded from the web, and g77 from binaries that I downloaded and compiled.

What version of gcc did you try to install using MacPorts?

Where did you get your copy of the gfortran dmg?

Ben