Re: Help with Excel IO - Ecel/COM not working, no Java support found

From: Jacques Malaprade
Subject: Re: Help with Excel IO - Ecel/COM not working, no Java support found
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 08:15:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Just for the benefit of those who are new to linux and octave I have added
what is required and worked on my system - Ubuntu Natty and Octave 3.4.2:

Download packages - io and java from
http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php
type 'octave' in the terminal and in octave type the following:

setenv("JAVA_HOME","/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk") - This should be the path
to your jdk folder.
s = javaObject('java.lang.String', 'Hello OctaveString')

This should bring up the text 'Hello OctaveString'. Then you know its
working.

pkg install -verbose ~/Downloads/io-1.0.14.tar.gz - Assuming this is where
you downloaded the io and java packages.
pkg install -verbose ~/Downloads/java-1.2.8.tar.gz
After typing 'pkg list' it should list the 2 packages
Any call to xlsread or odsread will now work.

Good luck.

malapradej