Re: signal-1.0.11 and shadowing of core library functions

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: signal-1.0.11 and shadowing of core library functions
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 23:09:46 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Fri, 8/5/11, PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: signal-1.0.11 and shadowing of core library functions
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Friday, August 5, 2011, 10:39 AM
>
> Juergen Rose wrote:
> >
> > After installing signal-1.0.11, which also installs
> miscellaneous-1.0.9,
> > optim-1.0.12 and specfun-1.0.9 as dependencies under
> Gentoo, octave
> > complains after starting about shadowing of core
> library functions:
> >

> address@hidden:/home/rose/Txt/projects/Spectral_analysis(23)$
> octave
> > GNU Octave, version 3.4.0
> > Copyright (C) 2011 John W. Eaton and others.
> > This is free software; see the source code for copying
> conditions.
> > There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for
> MERCHANTABILITY or
> > FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details,
> type `warranty'.
> >
> > Octave was configured for "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu".
> >
> > Additional information about Octave is available at
> > http://www.octave.org.
> >
> > Please contribute if you find this software useful.
> > For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html
> >
> > Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn
> how to submit bug reports.
> >
> > For information about changes from previous versions,
> type `news'.
> >
> > warning:
> > function
> >
> /usr/libexec/octave/packages/miscellaneous-1.0.9/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-api-v47+/hex2num.oct
> > shadows a core library function
> > warning: function
> /usr/share/octave/packages/optim-1.0.12/fminbnd.m
> > shadows a core library function
> > warning: function
> /usr/share/octave/packages/specfun-1.0.9/erfcx.m
> > shadows a built-in function
> > octave:1>
> >
> > Is this a serious problem or can I ignore it?
> >

> It's a problem if you need the (very probably better) core
> octave functions.
> So it depends on the situation.
>
> A week or so ago I started looking if I amend fix pkg.m so
> that octave-forge
> m-files that will shadow core octave functions can
> automatically be skipped
> (at the user's discretion, of course).
> Ben & John helped me with some code snippets, I think I
> found where to patch
> pkg.m, but I got distracted :-(  (happens often to me
> these days)
>
> I'll try to get further with pkg.m this weekend.
>
> Philip
>
> --

I am also working on 'pkg.m'. Hopefully soon I'll publish my version of it.

So far I've resolved the disorderly (stdout/stderr) problem.

However, with all those problems 'octave' and packages shouldn't have
been released in the first place - too much hassle and uncertainty for end
users.

The problems clearly manifest themselves through warning, and the
developers have much better understanding of the warnings - because they
know the code.

Regards,
  Sergei.