Re: Regarding Octave!

From: Liam Groener
Subject: Re: Regarding Octave!
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 19:36:19 -0700

On May 30, 2011, at 5:26 PM, Manoj Regmi wrote:

I'm a new user of an Octave. I have never used Matlab before too, but I have little bit knowledge about Fotran.
So, while working on Octave I got problems in fundamental commands like moving cursor, saving files and editing files.
So could you please let me know the best way to get well practice on Octave.Also, if information what I want to know
is provided to me then it would be appreciated.

From the wording of your question, my impression is that you are having problems with the editor, more than octave itself. The default editor, that is the editor you will get by typing:
    edit <filename>
 is emacs. You will find numerous free tutorials on emacs by googling "emacs tutorial." You can also change the default to whatever your favorite editor is by editing your .octaverc file (at least on unix or the mac; I'm not sure about Windows).

As for learning octave itself, I found the lecture notes for the short course at:
  http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-094-introduction-to-matlab-january-iap-2010/lecture-notes/
a helpful introduction in my own study. Only the last lecture is not applicable to Octave. For more detailed study, the lecture notes at:
  https://staff.ti.bfh.ch/sha1/Labs/PWF/Documentation/OctaveAtBFH.pdf
are good providing you have an engineering or science background.