abstracting n-dimensional subscripting

From: G B
Subject: abstracting n-dimensional subscripting
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 18:04:07 -0700 (PDT)

What is the best way to index an n-dimensional matrix, if I have a vector of
n indices?

If I have a 2D matrix M, and vector [j,k], I want M(j,k).
If I have a 3D matrix M, and vector [j,k,m], I want M(j,k,m).

I know that if I just do M([j,k,m]), I'll get three elements back.

Apologies if this is clearly stated in some document-- I've looked, but I'm
not finding a reference to this particular problem.