Re: strcat not found--MinGW

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: strcat not found--MinGW
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 11:57:53 -0400

On May 2, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Daryl Lee wrote:

> On 4/30/2011 4:49 PM, wahaj87 wrote:
>> Hi Daryl Lee
>>
>> Your program is very nice. I am learning from it. Here is simple solution
>> for your problem.
>>
>> 1 - I used this command to build the stand alone executable on vista and xp
>> machines.
>>
>> mkoctfile -Lc:\Octave\lib -LC:\octave\include\octave-3.2.4\octave
>> --link-stand-alone test2.cpp -o test2
>>
>> above command is little different from yours, I think some path is not seen
>> by octave compiler on my computer for lapack library, so I manually given
>> the library path.
>>
>> Now I opened a command prompt, and cd to the directory where i have
>> test2.exe, and run it. The same error you mention pop up. You know why ?
>> This is also a path problem. So to make it right quickly , I copied the
>> strcat.m from directroy "C:\Octave\share\octave\3.2.4\m\strings" to
>> directory where test2.exe exists. Run it again. Again two errors pop up ,
>> demanding max and find undefined. So I again copied max.oct and find.oct
>> from directory "C:\Octave\libexec\octave\3.2.4\oct\i686-pc-mingw32", to
>> directory where test2.exe exists. Now I run the test2.exe ! and wow it says
>> in output :
>>
>> Good morning,Hero
>>
>> tHAtS IT.--
>
> This is very helpful.  But I'm not likely to go scouring the Octave
> installation looking for files to copy every time I write a program.  What I
> did was modify my program to do this:
>
> function [resultString] = example2(inString)
>    resultString = path;
> end
>
> When I run my stand-alone program under Linux, I get the full Octave path,
> identical to what I get when I run it from the Octave console.  When I run it
> under MinGW/MSYS, I get only ".".  So now my question is, how do I get Octave
> to know the full search path under MinGW/MSYS, as it does under Linux?
>
> --
> Daryl Lee

I haven't seen this problem reported by anyone else. What happens when you run
the following function?

function listing = dir_listing
  listing = dir ();
end

If the "dir" function is not found, then it appears that the problem is unique
to your install.

What version of MinGW are you running?

Ben

p.s. I'm not a window's user, so I will be of limited help in resolving this.
Hopefully, someone else will offer some advice.