Re: Geospatial data functions

From: Chethan S
Subject: Re: Geospatial data functions
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 19:08:09 +0530

I am already a GRASS User. In order to manipulate images in a specific manner I am making use of MATLAB functions - some built-in, some written by me. As a FOSS enthusiast I wanted to get my work done in Octave. Anyway I am looking for alternative functions and if everything goes fine I will get my work done in Octave.

Thanks and regards,

Chethan S.

2011/4/23 Stuart Edwards <address@hidden>

On Apr 23, 2011, at 1:58 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 22 April 2011 22:49, Chethan S <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I am a student working on geospatial data, particularly satellite imagery.
>> Currently I am a MATLAB user wanting to switch to GNU Octave. With a casual
>> web search I learnt that GNU Octave is missing out several functions for
>> Geospatial Data Import and Access
>> (http://www.denney.ws/octave/3.0.1/Mapping.html).
>>
>> Are those functions available in latest version of Octave?
>
> You can see which functions are available in Octave or Octave-Forge at
> the following location:
>
>     http://octave.sourceforge.net/functions_by_alpha.php
>
> Unfortunately, it seems that the geospatial toolbox is still not at
> all implemented, and it looks like a major effort to do so. I do not
> know what to suggest. Sorry.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Depending on your needs, GRASS GIS ( http://grass.fbk.eu/) has some useful image processing capabilities

Stu