Re: Reading data from large ascii-file

From: Peter Norlindh
Subject: Re: Reading data from large ascii-file
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 17:27:34 +0200

Fantastic, it works now and its fast!  Thank you very much for your excellent help and quick responses!!!

/hpon

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Francesco Potortì <address@hidden> wrote:
>load(FILE) seems super-fast!  I have not been able to use the data though,
>and I have not been able to find what I need in the
>documentation<http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Simple-File-I_002fO.html#Simple-File-I_002fO>.

Read the docs for 'load'.  If you have a single gigantic matrix in your
file, you read it in variable m like this:

 m = load("file");

>How do I assign the data in a .asc or .mat to a variable?  Also, is it
>possible to list all variables that are present in the Octave session?

If it's a single matrix, do like the above.

For listing the variables use 'who' or 'whos'.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040