Re: connect Octave to Fantom Driver library on Windows?

From: Michele Chabot
Subject: Re: connect Octave to Fantom Driver library on Windows?
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:52:28 -0400

Wow thank you, the OCT file does build, with mkoctfile -I<include directory> -o try.oct  try.cc fantom.lib
I got my first oct file!  Given what you say, I have confidence it will work.

 Michele

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 2:58 AM, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Michele Chabot <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to operate my Lego NXT robot using Octave and the Fantom Driver
> library (http://mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/support/files/Driver.aspx) on
> Windows.
> RWTH (http://www.mindstorms.rwth-aachen.de/) (GPL) does this already with
> MatLab in place of Octave, but it relies on MatLab features not available in
> Octave (calllib) to access the Fantom library.
> To accesses the fantom driver from Octave using OCT files, I could create
> .cc wrapper files to link with the fantom library, but since fantom supplies
> only Microsoft-compatible (header,lib and dll) files for windows, I assume
> this would not work.

Not necessarily. MinGW is able to use MSVC .lib files to compile code
(just try to include a .lib file to the link command). The main problem is
if the Fantom driver library is C++, that's not gonna work as MinGW and
MSVC are binary incompatible for C++ code. Should work fine with C code.

Michael.