Seeking advice re Fedora Octave

From: Terry Duell
Subject: Seeking advice re Fedora Octave
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 10:19:53 +1000

Hullo,
I have been using the Fedora 14 Octave package (octave-3.2.4-3.fc14.x86_64.rpm) and recently encountered the problem (bug) with imread. I have worked around this to some extent by converting and reading my images as plain text files, but this has only really been a stop-gap measure. In an attempt to get past this problem I have built an Octave 3.4 package from the Fedora 15 src.rpm (nothing is available for Fedora 14), but this source package has it's own problems as it appears that the packaging of libs is incorrect or different such that the Octave-Forge package can't find dependent libs and can't be installed. Has anyone managed to successfully build an Octave-3.4 Fedora package (14 or 15) that works correctly and with the current Fedora Octave-Forge package? I would really prefer to work with Fedora packages (rpm) and avoid building and installing from source. If there was a patch available for 3.2.4 that fixed the image read/write problems, I could apply the patch to a rebuild a 3.2.4 package, but it would be preferable to be able to install version 3.4.
Any help or suggestions with this will be much appreciated.

--
Regards,
Terry Duell