Re: Compiling Octave for Mac OSX 1.6.x

From: fork
Subject: Re: Compiling Octave for Mac OSX 1.6.x
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 22:14:17 +0000 (UTC)

michaeldzjap <info <at> michaeldzjaparidze.com> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for your help, but I feel even more at a loss right now...
>
> I am not at all an 'expert' when it comes to compiling an installing
> applications from the source, so forgive my ignorance. However, I find all
> the different instructions about how to build octave and it's dependencies
> that are floating around very confusing...

I am sorry to add yet another source to all the contradictory instructions, but
I just built a 32 bit octave on my mac (a 4 year old macbook with snow leopard).

Here is my report:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.octave.maintainers/22060

Let me know if that is useful; I could expand on the steps if necessary.

Note to other developers:  Until we actually have a *single* set of working
instructions that can be followed from bottom to top without a bunch of
background or options, or an easily available up to date binary, we won't be
able to get much traction outside the Gnu Geek world...