Re: World Map with Country Outlines

From: Thomas D. Dean
Subject: Re: World Map with Country Outlines
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:39:04 -0800

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 12:24 +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
> Hello
>
> I cannot understand what you really want to do.
> What is m_map ?
> Please explain what you want to do in detail.
> Otherwise no one can give you suggestions.

m_map is a matlab application that appears to allow good rendering of
world map with country outlines, and overlay user data.

http://www.eos.ubc.ca/~rich/map.html

I tried to change the m_map application to run in octave.  Some of the
changes are minor, the author used abbreviations for properties.  Others
are more complex.  For example, line() does not allow the property
'clip'.  I get errors I cannot fix.

error: set: unknown property "clip"
error: called from:
error:   /usr/local/share/octave/3.2.4/m/plot/__line__.m at line 65
error:   /usr/local/share/octave/3.2.4/m/plot/line.m at line 38
error:   /home/tomdean/Math/Octave/work/m_map/m_grid.m at line 194
error:   /home/tomdean/Math/Octave/work/m_map/m_demo.m at line 40

error: set: new children must be a permutation of existing children
error: called from:
error:   /home/tomdean/Math/Octave/work/m_map/m_grid.m at line 259
error:   /home/tomdean/Math/Octave/work/m_map/m_demo.m at line 225

I want an application that will allow me, in octave, to plot a
projection of the world, with an overlay of data from my application.

For example, I have an octave application that returns the the
difference in time of arrival of RF wavefronts from distant lightning
strikes or VLF transmitters.  I want to plot the intersection of
hyperbolic lines of position (from time difference) on a UTM, wgs84
projection.  The VLF raw data is from a loop antenna, amplifier and
digitizer.

tomdean