Re: How to read HDF data ?

From: Noersomadi
Subject: Re: How to read HDF data ?
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 05:55:15 -0800 (PST)

Thank you for this useful information.
I really appreciate it.

Adi

From: Stewart Dickson <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Sent: Fri, February 11, 2011 12:52:08 AM

At:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/read-data-subsets-from-HDF5-td2713674.html

Octave's native HDF-5 reader  (load -hdf5) loads the entire HDF-5 file into memory as an Octave Struct.

Yes, it will load non-Octave-written HDF-5 files.
HDF-5 variable names appear as members with the same names of the HDF-5 Struct in Octave.
Limitations -- Octave chokes on struct member names containing spaces.   HDF files will have variable
names containing spaces.

How do you access struct member:
HDFEOS.SWATHS.MOD_Swath_Snow.'Data Fields' in Octave?

I think that it would be possible to do useful things in Octave with HDF files, however, as HDF file ATTRIBUTES
are ignored by Octave's native HDF-5 reader, you have to use an auxiliary tool, like h5dump (an HDF file dumper)
to discover the data field's names, dimensions, etc.

Since Meterological files are all geo-referenced, you would also like to overlay maps on the data.  In MATLAB,
you use AxesM to do this.  There is an open-source alternative:  M_Map http://www.eos.ubc.ca/%7Erich/map.html
Does it work in Octave?

-Stewart