./configure fails due to Fortran compiler

From: Don Mathis
Subject: ./configure fails due to Fortran compiler
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:21:03 -0500

I had already looked at that README.MacOS file. I installed the fortran compiler as instructed, and it gave me that error.

Fri 11 Feb 2011 07:35:16 PM GMT, comment #1:

John W. Eaton <jwe>
Project Administrator
Fri 11 Feb 2011 06:46:33 PM GMT, original submission:

I just downloaded the new release 3.4.0.
Trying to compile it on MacOS 10.6.6.

When I run ./configure I get this error:

> checking whether gfortran generates correct size integers... no
> configure: error: your Fortran compiler must have an option to make integers the
> same size as octave_idx_type (int). See the file INSTALL for more information.

Despite what the error message says, the INSTALL file does not even contain the word "Fortran".

What can I do?

Donald W. Mathis
Johns Hopkins University
Cognitive Science Department