Re: GNU Octave 3.4.0 Released (Mac OSX?)

From: Vic Norton
Subject: Re: GNU Octave 3.4.0 Released (Mac OSX?)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 19:46:44 -0500

On Feb 10, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Vic Norton wrote:

> Any advice on how to install Octave 3.4.0 on Mac OSX 10.6.6 would be greatly
> appreciated. I'm running the last "octave.app" (version 3.2.3). In the past I
> have not had good luck installing Octave from source files.

OK, once again I tried to install Octave from source---with the usual lack of
success.  First I installed the latest version of Xcode. Then I installed Gnu
Fortran 4.2.4 for Mac OS X 10.6. I even installed the latest Gnu sed. In the
end,

  $ tar xzf octave-3.4.0.tar.gz
  $ cd octave-3.4.0
  $ mkdir build && cd build
  $ ../configure  --enable-shared --disable-static

only produced

  configure: error: A BLAS library was detected but found incompatible
                   with your Fortran 77 compiler settings.

At least for me, compiling Octave from source files on a Macintosh is utterly
hopeless.

As I said before, any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Vic