Re: Compatible Commands for Octave

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: Compatible Commands for Octave
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:09:49 +0100

On 07.02.2011, at 21:46, Luke M wrote:

> Vincent Chew wrote:
>>
>> I am have some matlab commands are not recognize by the Octave 3.2.4 that
>> i am using to do my assignment. Can anyone help me in the following matlab
>> commands that are compatible in Octave ?
>>
>> Matlab Commands: pzmap, series, printsys, cloop, parallel,
>> feedback,minreal and step.
>
> The cloop command was removed from Matlab several years ago.  I'm not sure
> about the syntax but the same functionality is present in the feedback
> command.  Also, parallel is in the toolbox under Block Diagram Manipulation,
> and for minreal you might look into sysmin (though I'm not sure if it works
> the same).
>
> Alternatively, you may want to try the experimental control toolbox in the
> Octave-Forge SVN.  It's more Matlab compatible and supposedly avoids some
> issues from the original toolbox, which is no longer maintained.
>
> svn co
> http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/octave/trunk/octave-forge/main/control/
> control-2.0
>
> I think you can just tar and gzip that so Octave can install it with pkg
> install, but you should uninstall the original first since obviously there
> will be command name clashes.  There's probably a better way to get it, but
> I don't know it.  Also, SourceForge's SVN Browse is down or else I'd have
> just linked to that.
> --

Hi Vincent

Luke is right.
pzmap, feedback, minreal and step are all available in control-2.0.0.
series and parallel exist as well, but you can use * and + instead.
printsys and cloop are very outdated commands and are not included. You can use
"feedback(sys)" and "feedback(sys,'+') for negative and positive feedback.

I released the package last Tuesday in an official manner. You need Octave
3.4.0 or 3.3.90-3.3.92 to run it. Installation is simple, just type the
following in Octave:
pkg install -forge control
Octave should remove older versions of "control" automatically.

These pages might be of interest:
http://octave.sourceforge.net/control/index.html
http://octave.sourceforge.net/control/overview.html

Best Regards,