Re: Installing sundials-2..4.0.tar.gz in octave for windows

From: c.
Subject: Re: Installing sundials-2..4.0.tar.gz in octave for windows
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 22:28:53 +0100

On 7 Feb 2011, at 21:34, Valmor de Almeida wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> A related question. Say I have written an octave code that among other
> octave functions, it uses sundials for DAE's (the code is a collection
> of many .m files). I would like to provide a dynamic linked function to
> a matlab user to call my code (that is I would like to distribute a
> closed source library). Is this possible to be done through a mex file
> approach? In this case does it mean I would have to write a c++ or c
> code wherein all octave functions I use in my octave code will have to
> be called in the c++ code via a mexCallMATLAB?
>
> Are there other options?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Valmor

I don't understand exactly what you have in mind technically but, although I am
not a lawyer,
I believe that legally what you want is not feasible.
If you build an executable or library that links to Octave it will be subject
to the GNU GPL v3 license
according to which you cannot distribute your program without source.
It is possible that programs produced using the MEX interface might be
distributed with a license different than GPL v3,
but not the binaries produced by linking these programs to Octave. So even if
you use MEX, you will have to distribute your
code in source form so that Matlab users can compile it.
c.