Re: testing binary of octave-3.3.90 (mingw32) is uploaded

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: testing binary of octave-3.3.90 (mingw32) is uploaded
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:24:32 -0800 (PST)

Tatsuro MATSUOKA-2 wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have uploaded the testing binary of octave-3.3.90 (mingw32).
>
> http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/
>
> This binary is for testing purpose for preparing octave ver. 3.4.
>
> Feedback is welcome to the octave ML.

Thank you very much, Tatsuro, for uploading this shapshot build.

Some observations:

- Initialization (I mean between the moment that the CMD window shows up and
that the Octave prompt is finally shown) can take relatively long (> 30
seconds, CPU load at 100 %). Unwary users may assume that Octave 'hangs";

- Gnuplot works beautifully out-of-the-box; but in FLTK backend, all text is
mangled. I assume this is because you compiled it with ?Japanese? UNICODE
libs? (just a guess)

- 3.3.90 is much faster than octave-3.2.4 MingW (probably because you
supplied SSE3 libs; still the default SSE2 stuff offers more speed than
octave-3.2.4).

Anyway, nice build. I'll try to test it some more later this weekend and
next week.

Philip