Re: matrix functions

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: matrix functions
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 08:02:32 -0600

On 21 December 2010 04:05, Bård Skaflestad <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was about to suggest you use the 'funm' function, but now I see that
> 'funm' is only available (by default) in That Other Software.  On the
> other hand, the 'linear-algebra' add-on package from OctaveForge does
> contain a 'funm' implementation.

Huh, that's awkward, because the docstring for expm mentions funm,
which isn't included in core. I see the funm implementation is quite
naïve and relies on the matrix being diagonalisable. Even worse, it
calls inv instead of using the backslash operator. Is this the best
that can be done in general? Surely if expm works for defective
matrices, something can be done in general if we assume analytic
functions, which funm is assuming anyways?

- Jordi G. H.