Re: Build problems

From: Keith Grider
Subject: Re: Build problems
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 20:00:08 -0600

John,

I did that and it now compiles. I really do not know what is going on, but am happy it now works. I just uninstalled the one I hacked together and will install this once it is finished compiling.

Judd,

I had already re-run that apt-get just to make sure I had all the tools.

Keith

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 6:09 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On  1-Dec-2010, Keith Grider wrote:

| On a whim, I copied those 2 files from the gzipped archive I was able to
| compile and now it compiles and installs correctly. I copied: oct-parse.cc
| and oct-parse.h and I am now current with the mercurial (plotyy no longer
| gives me the ans=1 issue any more). I am guessing that I will have to do this
| again if I want to compile this, though. My install is pretty vanilla Ubuntu
| 10.10 23bit.

What happens if you remove oct-parse.cc and oct-parse.h and cd to the
src directory of your build tree and run

 make oct-parse.cc

?  I expect that you would see something like this:

 /home/jwe/src/octave/src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/config-module.sh /home/jwe/src/octave
 /home/jwe/src/octave/src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/module.mk is unchanged
 /bin/sh /home/jwe/src/octave/build-aux/ylwrap /home/jwe/src/octave/src/oct-parse.yy y.tab.c oct-parse.cc y.tab.h oct-parse.h y.output oct-parse.output -- bison -y  -dv
 conflicts: 16 shift/reduce, 1 reduce/reduce
 updating oct-parse.h
 oct-parse.output is unchanged

and both oct-parse.h and oct-parse.cc would contain something very
similar to the files you copied from the snapshot, not the incorrect
files that you said you had earlier.

If this doesn't work correctly, it would be good to understand why.
Is there a bug in Octave's Makefile, is something screwed up with
Ubuntu generally, or just your system?

jwe