Re: is there any good front end for octave?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: is there any good front end for octave?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:47:04 -0600

On 30 November 2010 08:36, Jason Martin <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 11:54 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>> QtOctave seems to be the least unpopular choice nowadays.

> Jordi,  What other choices are there?

Off the top of my head, Emacs, OctaveDE, XOctave, and a good old
xterm. These are just the live projects. Every couple of years a new
one seems to spring up and die a few years later.

For what it's worth, I've been teaching Octave to several young
students without any special "GUI", and I haven't heard any complaints
about how horrible white text on black backgrounds is. I do think a
good editor and familiarity with readline is all one really needs, and
that's how I teach it. I'm currently reviewing an Octave for Beginners
text book and it follows a similar approach; doesn't even mention the
frontends.

Admittedly, without a teacher, I can imagine why you would want File,
Edit, Help and a different colour scheme to help you find your way.

- Jordi G. H.