Re: Symbolic Package Errors

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Symbolic Package Errors
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 13:29:30 -0600

On 10 November 2010 13:23, Spencer Jackson <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Spencer Jackson <address@hidden>
> wrote:

>>> I know it is a stupid question, but you say symbolic shows in "pkg list"
>>> and
>>> do not mention if it is really loaded.
>>> Does pkg load symbolic change that behaviour?
>>> Or may be some dependency (ginac) is not installed, can you check that
>>> (if
>>> that is the case and your symbolic comes from the ubuntu packages it
>>> would be
>>> a bug to be reported to ubuntu).
>>
>> It is loaded (pkg 'describe' 'symbolic') and I double checked to make sure
>> I have ginac (libginac1.5) and cln (libcln6) as well as the respective -dev
>> packages for both. I will try the ubuntu community and see if any answers
>> come and get back to you.
>>
>> Thanks everyone.
>> _Spencer
>>
> Thanks again everyone. It must be whatever Debian repository Ubuntu Maverick
> is using because I downloaded and manually installed (pkg install
> symbolic-1.0.9.tar.gz) and its working.
> _Spencer

Hm, looks like Ubuntu has started to modify the Debian packages:

http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/universe/o/octave-symbolic/octave-symbolic_1.0.9-1build1/changelog

Looks like a minor change... but it does mean I will have to be more
careful from now on about telling people that the Ubuntu Octave
packages are grabbed without modification from Debian.

I recommend you file a bug report with Ubuntu in order to address
this, because the Debian package is working for me.

Thanks,
- Jordi G. H.