Re: cell array issue

From: Bård Skaflestad
Subject: Re: cell array issue
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 17:56:51 +0100

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 17:33 +0100, Schirmacher, Rolf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> running 3.2.4 on windows, I have the following issue with cell arrays:
>
> octave.exe> string = "a b c";
> octave.exe> demo2{1} = string
> demo2 =
>
> {
>   [1,1] = a b c
> }
>
> octave.exe> demo2{2} = string
> demo2 =
>
> {
>   [1,1] = a b c
>   [1,2] = a b c
> }
>
> octave.exe> demo3{1:2} = string
> error: invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment.
> error: assignment to cell array failed
> error: assignment failed, or no method for `<unknown type> = string'
>

> I would like demo3 to be the same as demo2 in this case (i.e. allow for
> indexing for cell arrays).
>
> This worked as described in 3.0.3 on windows...

Use either of these

        demo3(1:2)   = { string }
        [demo3{1:2}] = deal(string)

I personally prefer the first syntax, though it might not be applicable
at all times.  I'll defer to other to answer on the validity of
'demo3{1:2}=string' producing expected results in 3.0.3.

Sincerely,
--
Bård Skaflestad                            <address@hidden>
SINTEF ICT, Applied mathematics