Re: R: Best way to create interactive GUI apps with octave?

From: schnumbl
Subject: Re: R: Best way to create interactive GUI apps with octave?
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 03:20:20 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for your comments. I am a beginner in octave and the
failure to find a shared library could be due to my environment variable
settings (I use Windows XP). I tried to find the settings with google,
but I am still not sure if they are ok.

Is there a tutorial for setting the environment variables for octave forge?

Some paths I found are with '/' slash and some are with '\'. Sometimes there
is a ";"
as seperator and sometimes not. This is confusing for me, see e.g:

Here are my Windows environment variable settings

Windows environment system variables:

CLASSPATH = .
JAVA_HOME = C:\Programme\Java\jdk1.6.0_22
JAVA_INCS = -I:C:\Programme\Java\jdk1.6.0_22\include;
-I:C:\Programme\Java\jdk1.6.0_22\include\win32
PATH = ... ; C:\gnuplot\bin; C:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin;
C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin

(Hints for beginners like me: You can not directly copy my settings for your
system, but
you might want to add specific paths to your environment variables. Consider
your
specific java installation paths ect.)

- How do I have to adapt these paths?

- Do I need additional environment variables to run the GUI callback
example?

- What is the meaning of the JAVA_INCS variable? (I do not understand the
"-I". Do I have
to use forward or backward slashes? Do I have to use a ";" as separator? How
can I test
if the JAVA_INCS path is correct? Do I need it at all?)

- How can I test if octave knows the native "call" command? Do I have to
include extra *.oct
files as "shared library"?

- Do I have to somehow specify the path to the file "jni.jar" for the java
native interface?

- How can I test if the compilation of the OctSlider.java and the
ExtensionFileFilter.java are ok?

The octave environment variables settings for Windows might be interesting
for other octave users, too.
Here is some general information I found for environment variables (please
correct me if I write something wrong).

-There are octave commands to work with environment variables:
 + Show an environment variable, e.g. getenv("PATH");
 + Set an environment variable, e.g.
setenv("DUMMY_PATH","C:/Programme/Java/jdk1.6.0_22");

-The "setenv" command does not affect the (static) Windows Environment
Variables. It changes
only the dynamic Ocatave environtment variable for the current session. (If
you
restart Octave you would have to do the setenv command again.)

-The Windows Environment Variables can be changed as descriped here:
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/environment.htm

-There are different types of "slashes" or "file sperators" ('/' ,'//' ,'\',
'\\') that
can be used to specify a path. The slash depends on the operation system
and the programming language.

-There is an octave command to get the current file separator.
For my Windows XP system it works like this:

filesep
ans = \

-Windows environment variable names and paths are not case-sensitive
("PATH" is equal to "Path" or "path"). (The environment variables of
other operation systems may be case sensitive.)

-A single environment variable can include several paths. These paths are
seperated
with ";".

-A path can include other environment variables. To include a Windows path
variable,
use "%" signs at the start and at the end of the variable name, e.g.:
%SystemRoot%
(The operating system Unix uses a "$" sign at the start of the variable name
instead of "%" signs.)

-An environement variable may include a single point "." as a path. This
point represents
the current directory. If you run for example the java compiler "javac.exe"
in a directory
"c:\mycodefolder" and the environment variable "CLASSPATH" includes a ".",
the javac.exe will
include the current directory "c:\mycodefolder" to search for java classes.