Re: Scaling distance between xlabel/ylabel and axes

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Scaling distance between xlabel/ylabel and axes
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 09:30:22 +0800

On Oct 22, 2010, at 12:09 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2010, at 11:58 PM, Tobias Schmid wrote:

>>> I had considered adding psfrag support to Octave. However, as psfrag is
>>> rather dated and no longer maintained we decided not to add that support.
>>>
>>> However, if you are interested in that functionality, I've attached the
>>> function. This function works with the current developers sources. I
>>> haven't tried it with the 3.2.x series, but I expect it will work.
>>>
>>> Please let me know if it works well for you. Criticism is welcome.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Hello Ben,
>>
>> I tried to use your code, but I got the error messages added below.
>>
>> psfrag(Abbildung ,"test" ,'fontsize', 18 ,'height','\\psfragheight' , 'wid
>> th' , '\\psfragwidth')
>> error: mat2cell: dimension can not be empty
>> error: called from:
>> error: /home/tobias/Diplomarbeit/Octave/psfrag.m at line 342, column 15
>> error: /home/tobias/Diplomarbeit/Octave/psfrag.m at line 236, column 17
>>
>> Did I forget to hand over the parameter dimension? In the help enty no
>> parameter called dimension in mentioned?
>>
>> By the way, would this function solve my problem with the distances between
>> the labels and the entries of the legende , which are not scalable.
>>
>> Tobias
>
> I'll take a look at this tomorrow. In the meantime, does you plot have
> ticklabels for each visible axes?
>
> Ben

I found a two incomplete features of Octave 3.2.x that resulted in the error
you saw with psfrag.m. I've attached a version that detects the version of
Octave and provides an optional approach.

Regarding your call to psfrag, the proper syntax is ...

psfrag(Abbildung ,"test" ,"fontsize", 18 ,"height","\\psfragheight" , "width" ,
"\\psfragwidth")

or ...

psfrag(Abbildung ,'test' ,'fontsize', 18 ,'height','\psfragheight' , 'width' ,
'\psfragwidth')

Essentially, when using double quotes (") two backslashes are needed. When
using a single quote (') only one backslash is needed.

Psfrag may not resolve our problem with the overlaping labels.

Ben