help porting mcmc tutorial

From: Jack Tanner
Subject: help porting mcmc tutorial
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:51:43 -0400

I'd like to port the Mackay tutorial on MCMC from Octave 2 to Octave 3.

http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~mackay/itprnn/code/mcmc/

I'm not at all familiar with Octave, unfortunately. I think I've gotten through
the gnuplot changes by doing

for i in *.m; do sed -i'' -e's/gset /__gnuplot_set__ /g' $i; done
for i in *.m; do sed -i'' -e's/gplot /__gnuplot_plot__ /g' $i; done

But now I'm stuck at this. As far as I can tell, the function declaration is
valid Octave syntax, but I'm clueless. Help?

> DEMO
next state = 1, func = 0
warning: ans is no longer a built-in variable; please read the NEWS file or
type `news' for details
parse error near line 26 of file /home/goldin/mcmc/mymenu.m

  syntax error

>>> function num = mymenu (t, ...)
                             ^

parse error near line 26 of file /home/goldin/mcmc/mymenu.m

  invalid parameter list

>>> function num = mymenu (t, ...)
                             ^

error: `mymenu' undefined near line 31 column 8
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 31, column 6
error: evaluating while command near line 29, column 1
error: near line 236 of file `/home/goldin/mcmc/DEMO.m'