Colors in xterm?

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: Colors in xterm?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:37:17 +1000

Hello,

I use Octave within a color xterm in linux (actually I use Gnome Terminal, but an xterm would be as good).  I can get a color prompt, with

What I want to know is: can Octave be configured to display other colors: say different colors for input/output/variables/strings/help etc?  It would make for a very pleasant user experience, as well as being excellent for teaching and display.

Thanks,
Alasdair