Re: Identifying a line (among >50) on a plot

From: Plausible
Subject: Re: Identifying a line (among >50) on a plot
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:32:11 -0700 (PDT)

> > In Matlab I would right-click on a 'curious' line and through its
properties
> > window identify which variable it represents. I can't figure out a way
> to do
> > this with Octave/gnuplot.
>
> There may be a way to set up "brushing" in gnuplot via Octave; I don't
> know.  A
> very useful visualization tool though is ggobi, though, which takes csv's.

Unless I've missed it there is no way in ggobi to have all the time series
displayed, overlayed, on one plot. It uses a stack of separate plots.
Unfortunately, with many variables (and a small screen) this gets unwieldy.
Moreover the variances are normalised in the plots whereas I'm precisely
trying to single out variables that are notable because of extreme variance
(among other things).

Thanks for pointing out ggobi though, it does look very useful in many ways
(if a little crash-prone).