Re: Octave built with gcc-4.4.4 linking to wrong version of libstdc++

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Octave built with gcc-4.4.4 linking to wrong version of libstdc++
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 23:48:13 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 9/14/10, RUSS BRENNAN <address@hidden> wrote:

From: RUSS BRENNAN <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Date: Tuesday, September 14, 2010, 2:12 PM

Hi all,

I have build octave from source using gcc 4.4.4, also built from source.  The
build completes successfully, but when I do "run-octave" I get messages about
not having the right GLIBCXX version in libstdc++, coming from liboctinterp.so.
 ldd reveals that this library is linking to /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6, which
points to /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6.0.3 ... if I remove and re-link to
/path/to/gcc/4.4.4/lib64/libstdc++.so.6.0.13, all works as expected!

gcc filename.cc --print-file-name=libstdc++.so.6  gives me
/path/to/gcc/4.4.4/lib64/libstdc++.so.6.0.13, so it seems that compilation
points to the correct library file.

Can anyone give me clues as to the correct way to resolve this?  Symlinking
only works until I do "ldconfig", which overwrites the new symlink.

TIA,

Russell

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

You probably have more than one 'gcc' version installed; if yes, during
build make sure linker paths explicitly point to the needed 'gcc'
libraries. My build system does this automatically - it uses LDFLAGS and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables.

Also, it produces and autogenerated shell script used to run Octave.

See the script attached and look in it for gcc-4.4.4 to see how I'm
setting things.

Regards,
  Sergei.