Re: Constructing arrays

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Constructing arrays
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:16:09 +0200

Am Montag, 26. Juli 2010 14:56:48 schrieb dirac:
> Hi thanks for the reply,
>
> I see how this can work, but I am having problems with my data. The problem
> I think is that I have a matrix which I pre-defined as zeros, then replaced
> by numbers from a for loop calculation. I don't know how many rows I will
>  be using in the calculation (in the for loop) so I pre allocated more than
>  enough...Could this be a problem? Should I remove the zeros on the end of
>  the vector with the indecies in?
>
> Also could I have something like:
>
> a=[1:10]
> b=matrix
> col=some pre defined column from the matrix
> plot(a(1:length(b),col))
>
> it is b that has the zeros and indecies in.
>
> Sorry if this isn't very clear!
>
> Thanks
> Martin
>
> -----
> Pretty much convinced Octave>Excel for scientific data analysis!

If I understand this correctly and you want to use a column of the matrix for
the index it should read like this

plot(a(b(:, col)))

b(:, col) extracts the column number col from the matrix (so the result is a
vector of indexes).

Remark: I would remove the trailing zeros or if you don't want that and have
for example the value

m = number of nonzero values in the column

you can also do

plot(a(b(1:m, col)))

otherwise you will have an error like this (if index 0 is accessed)

error: subscript indices must be either positive integers or logicals.

- mh