RE: help with compiling octave-3.3.51

From: Luke M
Subject: RE: help with compiling octave-3.3.51
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:18:36 -0700 (PDT)

Posting just to let you know you aren't alone in your struggles.  I'm having
quite a bit of difficulty building the current development sources on RH5
myself, though some of that was due to the fact that I don't have root
access so I've had to build a number of packages on my own.  I could handle
the numerous dependency problems but I'm at a loss battling against a
segfault that seems identical to yours (though I suppose you can never be
sure).

I tried building BLAS and LAPACK without optimization, and I also still get
the segfault.  I'm trying LAPACK 3.2.1 to see if that helps.

I don't have access to the machine at the moment, but for reference I'm
using gcc 4.1.2 (which comes with RHEL5), and pretty much the latest of
everything else which I downloaded and built myself.  I can't remember
everything involved, but I had to update flex and libtool, had to build git
just to get gnulib (or libgnu, whatever it is), and I built the latest gperf
and various optional stuff (qrupdate, hdf5, fltk, and I'm sure there are
more).  I can probably provide more detail later.

Also, if you haven't noticed, you can do ./run-octave -g to run it through
gdb, ./run-octave -valgrind to run memcheck, and strace as well (though I
couldn't get that to work).