Re: obfuscate or protect code / analogon to pcode of Matlab

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: obfuscate or protect code / analogon to pcode of Matlab
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:10:45 +0200

tor, 17 06 2010 kl. 11:34 +0200, skrev Bernhard Willert:
> I want to create a "black box" function, so that students can test their
> algorithms on it without knowing its content.
> Nearly any kind of obfuscation would do it as long as it is architecture
> indepentent. In Matlab I have used pcode and a seperate m-file for help
> texts but sadly octave cannot handle the resulting p-files.
>
> Is there any analogon to pcode or a different trick to create a black
> box? (I also have a C implementation of the function, maybe this can be
> used.)

I think your best choice is to provide a compiled OCT file written in
C/C++. This will, however, not be platform independent. I guess you
could also write your function in java and use the 'java' package to
call it from Octave; that would give you platform independence.

In general this use-case is not well surported in Octave as it goes
against the spirit of Octave (though I understand your specific use).
Also, it should be noted that Matlab's p-code can easily be decompiled
into something readable, so it isn't much protection.

Søren