saving Octave state?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: saving Octave state?
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 05:50:42 -0500 (CDT)

With GNU R it is possible to save the state of the program -- all objects and history -- in the default directory so that if R is launched later in that directory it will automatically return to it's past state.

Is it possible to do this with Octave?

It seems like a save command can save all arrays to disk in a path/file the user requests. So that is part of the picture, if I have that right.

The other trick is to reload the old history. If I go with the default, it will save the history in ~/.octave_hist, but so will every other octave instance, and I often have several. I could exit octave, then copy the history to the default directory, but then I wouldn't know how to load the history except by copying it to ~/.octave_hist, which seems like a bad idea.

I have googled for this and I get lots of hits that aren't quite answering my question, so I hope someone here can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Mike