Re: octave installation problem

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: octave installation problem
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 21:36:41 -0500

On 6 June 2010 00:35, bijoy <address@hidden> wrote:
> configure: error: in `/home/bijoy/work/software_bkps/octave-3.2.4':
> configure: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
> See `config.log' for more details.

I see you're compiling on SuSE. I'm rather baffled how you apparently
do have gcc installed, but it's complaining that it's not ISO C
conforming. My guess is that you are simply missing development
packages. Are you able to compile anything else? Say, a hello world in
C or C++?

Compiling Octave can be frustrating without help, because tracking its
dependencies can be a challenge. There were RPMs for Fedora, but I
don't know if they're currently being maintained. If you can't find
some and you must build yourself, you can try using Debian's packaging
for hints on what you might need in order to build Octave:

     http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/octave3.2

Look at the build dependencies, all the packages that have a red dot
in front of them, and try to find equivalents in SuSE before you try
to build Octave again.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.