Re: Opinions on Matlab compatibility, Octave development

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Opinions on Matlab compatibility, Octave development
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 11:09:31 -0400

On Jun 2, 2010, at 10:43 AM, Judd Storrs wrote:

> That's not to say that IDL doesn't have problems and annoyances--it
> has probably more than it's fair share. At this point I prefer to use
> octave over Matlab and IDL because octave sucks way less than either
> Matlab or IDL.

I wouldn't wish IDL on my worst enemies.  At my previous job, I had to use IDL
as it is the indoctrinated language of all optics engineers and physicists.
Perhaps I have forgotten some of the niceties of IDL in the last 3 years, but
it must not have been a very large list as they were easy to forget.  Sometimes
I profane the mex interface, but you should try interfacing a piece of hardware
with IDL.  Not a pleasant experience.  If I had my druthers, I would implement
all extensions to Octave/Matlab with the Octave C++ OCT API (despite its
gradual changes).

John Swensen