Re: Octave vs. Matlab legal matters [was: Re: spline with NaNs]

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Octave vs. Matlab legal matters [was: Re: spline with NaNs]
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 12:06:48 -0700

tir, 25 05 2010 kl. 15:56 +0200, skrev Jaroslav Hajek:
> unless I misunderstood something, the above says that it is perfectly
> legal to study Matlab code in order to achieve compatibility. It seems
> even allowed to reverse-engineer formats or even decompile binaries
> for that purpose :)
>
> What is not allowed is copying code from Matlab to Octave (which is
> not questioned here). But looking at Matlab code, learn the algorithm,
> then implement the same in Octave, seems legal, at least in the EU.
> Not that I advise others to do it. Anyway, that would spoil all the
> fun.

When it comes to legal stuff I don't trust my own reading. Honestly,
most legal stuff seems to be written to ensure that nobody understands
it. It might be true that it is acceptable to study Matlab code in the
EU, but I would play it safe here and not do it. But when posting code
on this mailing list then you are not really studying the code, then you
are distributing it. I think that is something completely different (and
properly not in tune with the Matlab EULA).

Søren