Re: Octave & PostgreSQL

From: George Kousiouris
Subject: Re: Octave & PostgreSQL
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 20:34:06 +0300

Hi,

I had a similar problem in the past, for MySQL dbs. What I did was to use a Java class that connected and took the dataset from the DB and then with the javaoctave jar from Kim Hansen (http://kenai.com/projects/javaoctave/pages/Home) I passed the values as an octave file.

If anyone wants I can supply the according code.

Best regards,
George

fork wrote:
Don Catanzaro <dgcatanzaro <at> gmail.com> writes:

I am a newbie to Octave and wish to pull data from a PostgreSQL database for
analysis.

Welcome!

I have a few questions:

Could someone give a newbie a little direction ?

I don't think the database interface is very well developed in Octave,
unfortunately, so, um, I feel your pain.

I have some code that uses the system() command in octave, the psql command, an
intermediate file, and some sed trickery to run a select statement and get
either a matrix, a cell array, or a struct array.  This might not be directly
applicable in a windows environment, but I can point you to it this weekend
(after a little fixup) if it would be helpful.

There is no code for stuffing data back into the db, but it seems like that
answers 95% of my issues.

If anybody wants to comment on databases and octave, I would love to hear it.