Re: Stand alone problem: "dlmread" not found

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: Stand alone problem: "dlmread" not found
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 09:28:58 +0100

TOMD111 wrote:
Thank you David for your answer,

I think I unterstand the difference between an oct-file and a stand-alone
file now. For performance reasons, I will rewrite my m-files to C-files. A weird thing is, that calling the speed1.m with feval out of my exe-file
takes about 12seconds whereas calling it in octave it takes about 20 sec.
But maybe there are some other reasons for that.

thx,
Thomas.

Maybe there are ways to speed up your m-code that you don't know about. dlmread is a heavy call, and measuring it reading the same file over and over again doesn't tell much because dlmread is probably I/O bound rather than cpu bound. The summing and comparing is a very small fraction of time. Also, this kind of processing (reading two columns and comparing them) is faster in stream editors like awk or perl, because they were written to do just that.

David