Re: varargout{:} = func() ?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: varargout{:} = func() ?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 01:27:01 -0500

On 24-Feb-2010, forkandwait wrote:

| > I don't have Matlab to try at hand. What do you think these should do?
|
| Link to a matlab example which currently doesn't work on octave (the part
about
| output parameters doesn't, the part about input params works fine):
|
| http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_original/720201

Maybe that example is wrong?

I think you will find that Matlab also needs to know the number of
outputs before it can call the function.  So as we said before,

  v = cell (expected_outputs, 1);
  [v{:}] = func (...);

should work in any recent version of Octave.  If it does not, then
please submit a complete bug report to the address@hidden mailing
list.  But first, please read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to see
what information you should include in your report so that it is
helpful.

OTOH,

  clear v;

will not work, because Octave can't determine nargout for the function
call.  I expect this is also true in Matlab.

jwe