Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:40:12 -0600

On 23 February 2010 15:27, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'd put it differently. Scilab used to be released under a license which
> was considered to be non-free by a group of people.

Within both the free software and open source movements, both copyleft
and non-copyleft views (e.g. your beloved BSD-like licenses and their
proponents) restrictions on commercial use are considered non-free.

Academics and other people often don't realise the problems that
restricting commercial use causes, but they do exist.

It wouldn't be fair to call Skype free because my grandmother doesn't
want to look at its hidden source, or to call Windows free because
many people copy it without feeling the restrictions of copyright law
(i.e. "piracy [sic]"). Just because a certain group doesn't feel the
restrictions of a license, doesn't mean that it's free for all.

Feel free to say again how non-free it is to to restrict your freedom
to remove my freedom. ;-)