Re: Mathworks hosting GPL'd software

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: Mathworks hosting GPL'd software
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:13:40 +0100

On 18 Feb 2010, at 08:48, asha g wrote:

Okay, I am beginning to understand. Now I have never gone into the Mathworks site and have managed to use Octave without it. I am wondering how their restrictions will affect users of OCtave and other similar software- I mean are we dependent on their site ?

No, we are not.

Actually, as others have already noted in this thread, this move by the Mathworks will probably end up being an opportunity for the Octave community. Users of the mathworks website who do not agree with the new restrictions can probably be convinced to contribute to Octave and Octave-Forge rather than to a proprietary project that is trying to impose restriction as to who they can give their code to.

Thanks
Asha  G

c.