Re: Octave just hangs - no crash

From: Dupuis
Subject: Re: Octave just hangs - no crash
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 03:40:23 -0800 (PST)

Simon.Schwarz wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a problem with octave. I have a script which works on 480x580
> grayscale pictures.
>
> I have ~1000 of them. So I run the script over night. It often happens
> that octave just hangs when I come back in the morning.

Some hint : before processing each image, open a log file, append a message
like '2010-02-02 10:40 PM going to process picture 212'. Close the log file.
Process the picture. Open the log file, append
'2010-02-02 10:50 PM picture 212 done'. Close the log file. This way you'll
be able to keep track of what's going. See if the processing time is more or
less constant, or drift with time. If this is the case, this may be linked
to a memory problem : try to clear a maximum of intermediate variables after
each picture. Another option is to run out of file descriptors : try to
match calls to open() with calls to close().

Regards

Pascal