Re: passing m-files as a function argument

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: passing m-files as a function argument
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:09:05 +0100

parigigi wrote:
Hi everybody,

I am currently using a commercial software that is giving me in output
several m-files as a results of different simulations. I would like to do
the same analysis on each m-files. So I want to write a function that
accepts a filename as an argument. Lets suppose that I want to apply
'myanalysis' function on a single output m-file of this commercial software.
I want something that allows me to do:

myanalysis (output_m-file_name,parameter);

At a certain point inside this function I want to load this m-file as
following:

output_m-file_name;

ecc...

I still don't understand how to pass a m-file name as an argument. I tried
with quotas " ' ", without, with "@" but nothing worked... Where am I wrong?

Thanks a lot to everyone

Is the output m-file a function file or a script file? If it's a script file you can load it by running eval('foobar') where yopu have a script file saved as foobar.m

try something like

function myanalysis (filename, parameter)
 name = filename(1:end-2)
 printf ("Running %s\n", name);
 eval (name)

endfunction

in a file called myanalysis.m.

You should then be able to run myanalysis ('foobar.m')

Note that you need to have foobar.m in the Octave search path.

hth
David