Re: octave in multiprocessor cpu

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: octave in multiprocessor cpu
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 21:09:43 +0100

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Carlo Sartori <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi tom.
> Thank for your fast answer!
>
> I looking for a way to lot the CPU usage in all my core, now when I
> start a octave program i seen in htop only one cpu running at 100% and
> the other 7 are at 0%. Normally I don't use big matrices but long
> cycle "for". I take a look about the libraries you have write in your
> answer, but if it is only for matrices operation it isn't what I need.
> I try to use google but i don't fount a simple way for make what I want.
> Sorry for my bad English.
> Carlo

If you're on a Unix-based system, parcellfun and pararrayfun from
OctaveForge are probably the easiest way to exploit embarassing
parallelism (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embarrassingly_parallel)
on multi-core machine.

The best suggestion is vectorize the for loops using cellfun/arrayfun
and then drop in parcellfun/pararrayfun to get parallel computing. You
can search the forum for code examples, or provide some code to get
help with parallelizing it.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer