Re: Octave hangs forever trying to invert singular matrix

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave hangs forever trying to invert singular matrix
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 22:23:11 +0100

Vic Norton wrote:
I don't see how any numerical routine can give you a reasonable answer.
This is a 0/0 problem.

Giving an unreasonable answer is ok, hanging isn't... This is hanging in the CXSparse QR code I presume, but as I was working (admitted very slowly) on converting this to use the SPQR code from SuiteSparse, I don't think I can be bothered trying to fix this. SPQR is much faster and allows a 2-norm solution that is consist with the same case for a full matrix,

D.